PE at Gastrells
In P.E we aim to inspire all children at Gastrells and for each child to fulfil their potential through positive and motivating experiences. PE enables pupils to become physically confident and our intention is that all children who leave Gastrells are physically literate which ultimately supports their health, wellbeing and fitness and provides the foundations for lifelong activity.
We want the children at Gastrells to succeed and excel in both competitive sport and physical activities and have the confidence to continue these activities long after they have left Gastrells.
Each child receives a minimum 2 hours of PE a week with specialist coaches or class teachers. We plan their sessions to cover a broad and full range of skills and activities. Children in Year 1 and Year 2 attend swimming lessons in a local pool and children in Y5 carry out Rookie Lifeguard training.
We offer the children wide range of physically active extra-curricular clubs which both before and after school and at lunch time.
All of the P.E at Gastrells follows our whole yearly plan which can be found below, this is supported by our scheme of work P.E Pal.
Aims & Impact
Our curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils:
- To enjoy being physically active
- Develop their fundamental movement skills.
- Improve their agility, balance and coordination.
- Lead and join in team games.
- Develop their resilience, independence, confidence and creativity.
- Enjoy fitness and understand the importance of good diet and exercise.
- To be able to collaborate and communicate with others
- To recognise and develop their own strengths and weaknesses.