Our Teaching Team
Welcome back Goshawks for 2022!
Dear parents and pupils,
Happy new year and welcome back for 2022. We are looking forward to a new year of exciting learning opportunities in Goshawks and across the school. Below is an overview of what we will be learning this term. We will also have personal/learning behaviour focus each term; for spring this will be looking after myself and my belongings.
Our topic this term:
Our main theme will be the history, geography and legacy of the Roman Empire.
The topic map on the next page will give you an overview. One or two subject areas will be taught as “stand-alone” subjects but we would like to make as many links as we can.
We will be having a Roman themed day on February – this will be include dressing up for pupils (and staff)
Please note Y5 will go swimming every Monday from 17th January – year 4 pupils will have lessons with Miss Mahaffy between 10-12am.
Books and Film
- Secrets of Vesuvius (Caroline Lawrence)
- Asterix And Obelix: Mansion Of The Gods
- The Fall of the Roman Empire (clips only)
We continue to use Teams to communicate home learning, reminders and copies of letters for trips and sports fixtures etc. This can be used by everyone at home and we encourage pupils to use it independently; Teams is a useful tool in itself as well as a safe space for them to learn how to interact online responsibly and manage their own learning.
Keep an eye out for photos of school events on twitter:
Interesting class learning on the class blog:
Although we plan to be indoors, an additional pair of tracksuit bottoms or a top may by comfortable. Please ensure PE kit is in school every day – this allows us to be flexible with the PE timetable and make use of winter weather opportunities to get outside occasionally.
This will continue to be assigned via Teams on Friday for the following Wednesday. For the reading task in particular, pupils should have made a note on their bookmark of where they need to read to each week. Your support in checking this would be appreciated!
Spellings will go on spelling shed and also a list on Teams. Please let us know if any passwords go astray or stop working!
Dates for your diary:
Swimming (Y5) – Monday weekly 17 January – 4th April Inclusive
Parents evening (Teams) 7-8 February
Roman Day – 9th February
World Book Day – 3 March
Interhouse gymnastics – 16 March
There will no doubt be more to add to this as the term progresses, but we hope you find this useful. Have a great 2022 and thanks for your ongoing support.
Mr Lowe and the Goshawks team
Checkout our latest posts from our class blog below or just hit to button to get to our complete blog. It’s the best way to get the most up-to-date information about what we are up to and also has some great images – so dive in!!!
- After a very long wait we finally descended on Birmingham along with 5000 other pupils for the Young Voices concert. We were rewarded with some of the best seats in the house, directly behind the band and performers and front and centre before a packed venue at the Resorts World Arena. Goshawks and KS2 sangContinue […]
- We had an interesting afternoon last week honing our practical skills and learning about the reproductive parts of a flowering plant. With some very small and delicate parts to remove, Goshawks all did a fantastic job. Some potential surgeons in the room for sure!