Please see the Home Learning area on the Parents page for more Covid-19 information
Dear parents and carers,
After missing your children for over two months we have now begun to take steps for reopening, and planning the opportunities to hear noise in the classrooms and see smiles on their faces. As you are aware from the Government roadmap the majority of schools will be open to reception, year 1 and year 6 on Monday 1st June, as well as continuing provision for Key Workers and vulnerable children. After careful consideration and planning we have taken the decision to be open for those year groups from this date. We will be continuing to provide home learning for year 2,3,4,and 5 and teachers will signpost resources for those children who are not in school in reception, year 1 and year 6, however this will not be daily tasks and feedback. Over the last weeks we have been receiving advice from many sources including the DfE and Local Authority to facilitate us opening to these year groups with the health and safety of staff and pupils at forefront of our planning.
Below we have tried to outline the key measure that will be in place at Gastrells (should you wish to see the risk assessment please click on the link further down this letter):
- Do not send your child to school if they, or a member of your household, has ONE or ANY COMBINATION the following:
- a new continuous cough
- a high temperature
- a loss of, or change in, their normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia)
No member of staff will attend school if they, or a member of their household has any of the above. Further information on Covid 19 testing can be found here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
- If your child or a member of your household becomes unwell you follow the self isolation guidance and alert school of this. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection
- To allow staff time for planning and preparation, school we will be closed on Fridays (5th and 12th June) (apart from for Key workers and vulnerable children)
- Children will be taught in ‘bubbles’ of no more than 15. They will be based in one classroom space and have the same members of staff with them. Children will not be mixing with other children outside their bubbles. This will be implemented by a staggered timetabling to encompass break and lunch.
- Year groups will come in and leave through different doors at staggered arrival and pick up times. We need you to be here at the appropriate times please – not early or late – as we need to encourage as much social distancing as possible.
|Year group||Arrival||Pick up||location|
|Year 1||9am||3.10pm||KS1 door|
|Year 6||8.45am||3.15pm||KS2 door|
|CiC children||9.30pm||2pm (negotiable)||Gate at bottom of steps|
|Key Worker children||8.45am||3.15pm||Front door|
- Please could only one parent/carer bring children and leave site promptly.
- Unfortunately there will be no adults (other than staff) inside the school building. Should you wish to speak to the teacher please do so via their email or contact the office.
- Please could you ensure your child brings nothing but the following: coat/ hat, lunch boxes, snack (there will be no snack or fruit provided) and drink into school. These will be kept in child’s place in the classroom. Please apply suncream to your children before they come to school.
- School uniform is not necessary as it is advised daily washing of clothes is necessary. No PE kit will be needed either as children need to wear clothing suitable for PE (including daps or trainers) and a school jumper.
- Stationery will be provided for each child.
- Reading books will not be sent home but will be provided for your child whilst in school.
- Due to all teachers being in school we appreciate your patience with any communication, but if there is anything urgent please contact the school office as normal.
- Additional cleaning during the day will take place.
- School meals will be provided should you wish for your child to order them.
- We will let you know about any changes with year 2, 3, 4 and 5. We appreciate you may make individual choices about this, we will be sending out a text message to parents of reception, year 1 and year 6 about whether you intend to send your child back to school in the first two weeks of June. Please would you reply to this.
We have produced a FAQ which is here:
And to read our Risk Assessment please click on the link below:
Please help your child by preparing them that school procedure will be different, when they return. Thank you as ever for your continued support and understanding at this difficult time.
Many thanks for your support.
Stay safe, take care
Mrs Merriman, Mr Muskett and Ms Radway.
A FREE offer for Parents and Carers from resources website Twinkl
As the Coronavirus spreads, we’re aware that more schools are closing and pupils’ learning is being disrupted. Parents, carers and teachers are looking for ways to ensure the continuity of education during school closures so that no children miss out on valuable learning time.
To support you during this period, Twinkl is offering every parent and carer in your school access to all Twinkl resources with a One Month Ultimate Membership, totally free of charge so your pupils can still have access to high-quality learning during any periods of disruption.
Setting this up is really easy to do – go to www.twinkl.co.uk/offer and enter the code UKTWINKLHELPS
Please take a look at the Parents Hub at https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resources/parents for more helpful ideas and support
Our thoughts are with everyone affected by the Coronavirus outbreak and we hope that this will go some way towards helping.
Welcome to Gastrells Primary School
Gastrells Community Primary School is a thriving primary school in the Rodborough area of Stroud. We are a friendly, welcoming school where children achieve well in all aspects of school life.
At Gastrells Primary School we believe in a ‘Flying Start to a Life of Learning’. We teach the skills, knowledge and values that children need to handle the complexity and diversity of today’s world. As the children grow, we expect that they will gain respect for themselves, for each other and for the world in which we live.
– Kate Merriman, Head Teacher
We currently have spaces in Reception and Year 2 only. Please call if you would like to come and look round.
- Gloucestershire Dance Festival (2/13/2020) - Our dancers recently took part in the Gloucestershire Dance Festival at Cheltenham Town Hall. See below for the video of their fantastic performance on the theme of Toy Story Gloucestershire Dance Festival – Toy Story from Jake Muskett on Vimeo.
- Gastrells win the Sportshall Athletics County Championships! (2/4/2020) - HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to the Sportshall Athletics team who were the winners of the county finals on Thursday 23rd January. The children took part in a range of track and field events including javelin, long jump and speed bounce. Their performance was outstanding – winning many of their events streets ahead of the other participating teams. … Continue reading Gastrells win the Sportshall Athletics County Championships!
- Sportshall Athletics Champions (10/12/2019) - Stroud District Sportshall Athletics Champions On Friday 22nd November we took two teams to compete in the Stroud District Sportshall Athletics competition at Stratford Park. The children competed brilliantly in a series of track and field events across the afternoon against schools from around the district. Out of the 18 schools competing we were incredibly … Continue reading Sportshall Athletics Champions
- Gastrells 3rd in Big Dance Off National Finals (6/13/2019) - After a stunning win in the South West Dance Off Competition, Gastrells competed for the National crown and came a brilliant 3rd place with their Lion King showpiece.
- New After School Club starting 2nd March (6/12/2019) - From Monday 2nd March Gastrells will be running our own extended After School Club until 5.15pm every day. We are planning lots of new and exciting activities every day in order to keep our pupils active and engaged whilst learning the benefits of leading a healthy lifestyle! More details to follow very soon. Please ask … Continue reading New After School Club starting 2nd March
Sonny won a prize in Andigestion’s Halloween Colouring Competition! For the full story and photographs visit: