Please see the Home Learning area on the Parents page for more Covid-19 information
Dear parents and carers,
I am delighted that following Government guidelines we will be welcoming all children back to school and are looking forward to our new reception cohort and other children throughout the school joining us. Although the children may see some differences to their day, our ethos will remain the same and we will endeavour to provide a wide variety of experiences and opportunities and make the children feel safe and enjoy their learning. We will continue to provide a broad and balanced curriculum both academic and social and emotional, taking into
account of current times.
Should you wish to view the current risk assessment it is available below.
We have some frequently asked questions and answers below:
Q – When does my child need to be dropped off and picked up, and how do they get into school?
-Year groups will come in and leave through different doors at staggered arrival and pick up times. We need you to be here at the appropriate times please – not early or late – as we need to encourage as much social distancing as possible.
|Surname initial letter||Drop off time||Collection|
|A – E||8.45am||3.05pm|
|F – N||8.50am||3.10pm|
|O – Z||8.55am||3.15pm|
Q – Am I allowed on the school site?
-Please could only one parent/carer bring children and leave site promptly.
– Unfortunately there will be limited adults (other than staff) inside the school building. Should you wish to speak to the teacher please do so via their email or contact the office.
Q – What does my child need to bring to school?
-Please could you ensure your child only brings the following: PE kit (which can be left at school) coat/ hat,lunch boxes, snack and drink into school. These will be kept in child’s place in the classroom. Please apply suncream to your children before they come to school, should they need it.
-Stationery will be provided for each child, but they may bring their own if they wish.
Q – Does my child need to wear uniform?
-School uniform will be necessary.
Q – Can my child wear a face mask?
-Face masks are not compulsory in school in line with the latest Government guidance, but children may wear them if they wish. (see mask wearing policy on our website)
Q – Can my child have a hot school lunch?
-School meals will be hot dinners from September – these will be free for reception, Y1 and Y2.
Q – What clubs will Gastrells be offering?
-Breakfast club and after school club will operate and will not be affected by the staggered start / finish.
-Initially there will be no sports / extra curricular clubs but we will review this after the first two weeks of schooling, hopefully being able to facilitate opportunities for participation in extra-curricular activities.
Q – How do I communicate with school?
-We appreciate your patience with any communication, but if there is anything urgent please contact theschool office as normal. We will keep the text reply system active at the moment but it is not monitored continually so in the case of emergency please ring the office.
– A member of staff will be available at drop off / pick up.
-Any notes please put through the letterbox.
Q – What do I do if my child exhibits Covid symptoms?
-Do not send your child to school if they, or a member of your household, has ONE or ANY
COMBINATION the following:
o a new continuous cough
o a high temperature
o a loss of, or change in, their normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia)
No member of staff will attend school if they, or a member of their household has any of the above.
Further information on Covid 19 testing can be found here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronaviruscovid-19/
-If your child or a member of your household becomes unwell you follow the self isolation guidance and alert school of this. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-athome-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection
We cannot wait to catch up with you all and begin to engage with new and exciting opportunities for the coming term. Staff have been busy eagerly preparing for the start of the academic year. Look out for a welcoming message from your child’s new class teacher on their blog
Many thanks, as ever, for your continued support,
Mrs Merriman, Mr Muskett and Mrs Radway
We have produced an additional FAQ which is here:
And to read our Risk Assessment please click on the link below:
For the latest advice from HM Government please read the leaflet below:
Please help your child by preparing them that school procedure will be different, when they return. Please read through the Home School Agreement together .
Many thanks for your support.
Stay safe, take care
Welcome to Gastrells Primary School
Gastrells Community Primary School is a thriving primary school in the Rodborough area of Stroud. We are a friendly, welcoming school where children achieve well in all aspects of school life.
At Gastrells Primary School we believe in a ‘Flying Start to a Life of Learning’. We teach the skills, knowledge and values that children need to handle the complexity and diversity of today’s world. As the children grow, we expect that they will gain respect for themselves, for each other and for the world in which we live.
– Kate Merriman, Head Teacher
- Gloucestershire Dance Festival (2/13/2020) - Our dancers recently took part in the Gloucestershire Dance Festival at Cheltenham Town Hall. See below for the video of their fantastic performance on the theme of Toy Story Gloucestershire Dance Festival – Toy Story from Jake Muskett on Vimeo.
- Gastrells win the Sportshall Athletics County Championships! (2/4/2020) - HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to the Sportshall Athletics team who were the winners of the county finals on Thursday 23rd January. The children took part in a range of track and field events including javelin, long jump and speed bounce. Their performance was outstanding – winning many of their events streets ahead of the other participating teams. … Continue reading Gastrells win the Sportshall Athletics County Championships!
- Sportshall Athletics Champions (10/12/2019) - Stroud District Sportshall Athletics Champions On Friday 22nd November we took two teams to compete in the Stroud District Sportshall Athletics competition at Stratford Park. The children competed brilliantly in a series of track and field events across the afternoon against schools from around the district. Out of the 18 schools competing we were incredibly … Continue reading Sportshall Athletics Champions
- Gastrells 3rd in Big Dance Off National Finals (6/13/2019) - After a stunning win in the South West Dance Off Competition, Gastrells competed for the National crown and came a brilliant 3rd place with their Lion King showpiece.
- After School Club starts again on 7th September (6/12/2019) - On Monday 7th September Gastrells After School Club will begin again, as long as government Covid-19 guidelines allow. Gastrells’ Afterschool club provides an after school snack, fun games and supervision for children aged 4 to 11 years of age, in a safe, happy environment, supervised by professional, experienced staff. Extra hygiene precautions will be in … Continue reading After School Club starts again on 7th September
Sonny won a prize in Andigestion’s Halloween Colouring Competition! For the full story and photographs visit: