Please see the Home Learning area on the Parents page for more Covid-19 information
Dear Gastrells family
Thank you so much for all the support and positivity you have given us and your children this year. We really appreciate everything you have done – we understand for many of you this has been tricky, trying to juggle other commitments, children and work, as well as home schooling. I would also like to take the time to thank all the Gastrells staff who have been working tirelessly since February, giving up holidays, bank holidays and many weekends to either be in school, or completing work for school. Without their dedication and commitment, we couldn’t have continued to provide the connection and education that we have been able to.
It gives me great pleasure to tell you that we will be welcoming all pupils back to school in September. It has been a pleasure to welcome all year groups into school this term and see how much they have enjoyed their time here.
We will be having all year groups in from 7th September (staff will be in school from 1st Sept), apart from the new reception children who will have two sessions – 3rd and 4th September. This will allow staff to organise their classrooms, adhere to new guidance which will, I am sure, be published during the summer holidays and also to have a well-earned break during this time.
As we have to continue with Government guidance to ensure safety for children and staff we have worked hard on implementing some changes to the normal school day, all of which will be reviewed frequently and you will be kept informed.
Below we have tried to outline the key measure that will be in place at Gastrells (should you wish to see the risk assessment this will be available below), and some of these measures will be the same as they are now:
- Do not send your child to school if they, or a member of your household, has ONE or ANY COMBINATION the following:
* a new continuous cough
* a high temperature
* a loss of, or change in, their normal sense of taste or smell (anosmia)
- No member of staff will attend school if they, or a member of their household has any of the above. Further information on Covid 19 testing can be found here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
- If your child or a member of your household becomes unwell you follow the self isolation guidance and alert school of this. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection
- Children will be taught in ‘bubbles’. They will be based in one classroom space and have the same members of staff with them. Children will have limited to engagement with other bubbles.
- Class groups will come in and leave through different doors at staggered arrival and pick up times. We need you to be here at the appropriate times please – not early or late – as we need to encourage as much social distancing as possible.
|Surname initial letter||Drop off time||Collection|
|A – E||8.45am||3.05pm|
|F – N||8.50am||3.10pm|
|O – Z||8.55am||3.15pm|
- Please could only one parent/carer bring children and leave site promptly.
- Unfortunately there will be limited adults (other than staff) inside the school building. Should you wish to speak to a teacher please do so via their email or contact the office.
- Please could you ensure your child brings nothing but the following: coat/ hat, lunch boxes, snack and drink into school. These will be kept in child’s place in the classroom. Please apply suncream to your children before they come to school, should they need it.
- School uniform will be necessary from September – please plan ahead. Batemans is currently open for walk in appointments, but also taking bookings to try things on. You can also purchase uniform online at https://www.batemanssports.co.uk/schools-colleges/primary-schools/gastrells
- Stationery will be provided for each child.
- Due to all teachers now being in school we appreciate your patience with any communication, but if there is anything urgent please contact the school office as normal.
- Additional cleaning during the day will take place.
- School meals, will be hot dinners from September – these will be free for reception, y1 and y2.
- We will be operating breakfast club and an after school club from September. Information will be available separately for this.
- Initially there will be no sports clubs but we will review this after the first two weeks of schooling, hopefully being able to facilitate opportunities for participation in extra-curricular activities.
We are looking forward to welcoming everyone back in September and will keep you informed should anything change.
Thank you again.
Please have a relaxing summer break, and we will see you in September.
Mrs Merriman, Mr Muskett and Ms Radway.
We have produced a FAQ which is here:
And to read our Risk Assessment please click on the link below:
Please help your child by preparing them that school procedure will be different, when they return. Please read through the Home School Agreement together .
Thank you as ever for your continued support and understanding at this difficult time.
Many thanks for your support.
Stay safe, take care
A FREE offer for Parents and Carers from resources website Twinkl
As the Coronavirus spreads, we’re aware that more schools are closing and pupils’ learning is being disrupted. Parents, carers and teachers are looking for ways to ensure the continuity of education during school closures so that no children miss out on valuable learning time.
To support you during this period, Twinkl is offering every parent and carer in your school access to all Twinkl resources with a One Month Ultimate Membership, totally free of charge so your pupils can still have access to high-quality learning during any periods of disruption.
Setting this up is really easy to do – go to www.twinkl.co.uk/offer and enter the code UKTWINKLHELPS
Please take a look at the Parents Hub at https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resources/parents for more helpful ideas and support
Our thoughts are with everyone affected by the Coronavirus outbreak and we hope that this will go some way towards helping.
Welcome to Gastrells Primary School
Gastrells Community Primary School is a thriving primary school in the Rodborough area of Stroud. We are a friendly, welcoming school where children achieve well in all aspects of school life.
At Gastrells Primary School we believe in a ‘Flying Start to a Life of Learning’. We teach the skills, knowledge and values that children need to handle the complexity and diversity of today’s world. As the children grow, we expect that they will gain respect for themselves, for each other and for the world in which we live.
– Kate Merriman, Head Teacher
We currently have spaces in Reception and Year 2 only. Please call if you would like to come and look round.
- Gloucestershire Dance Festival (2/13/2020) - Our dancers recently took part in the Gloucestershire Dance Festival at Cheltenham Town Hall. See below for the video of their fantastic performance on the theme of Toy Story Gloucestershire Dance Festival – Toy Story from Jake Muskett on Vimeo.
- Gastrells win the Sportshall Athletics County Championships! (2/4/2020) - HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to the Sportshall Athletics team who were the winners of the county finals on Thursday 23rd January. The children took part in a range of track and field events including javelin, long jump and speed bounce. Their performance was outstanding – winning many of their events streets ahead of the other participating teams. … Continue reading Gastrells win the Sportshall Athletics County Championships!
- Sportshall Athletics Champions (10/12/2019) - Stroud District Sportshall Athletics Champions On Friday 22nd November we took two teams to compete in the Stroud District Sportshall Athletics competition at Stratford Park. The children competed brilliantly in a series of track and field events across the afternoon against schools from around the district. Out of the 18 schools competing we were incredibly … Continue reading Sportshall Athletics Champions
- Gastrells 3rd in Big Dance Off National Finals (6/13/2019) - After a stunning win in the South West Dance Off Competition, Gastrells competed for the National crown and came a brilliant 3rd place with their Lion King showpiece.
- New After School Club starting 2nd March (6/12/2019) - From Monday 2nd March Gastrells will be running our own extended After School Club until 5.15pm every day. We are planning lots of new and exciting activities every day in order to keep our pupils active and engaged whilst learning the benefits of leading a healthy lifestyle! More details to follow very soon. Please ask … Continue reading New After School Club starting 2nd March
Sonny won a prize in Andigestion’s Halloween Colouring Competition! For the full story and photographs visit: